I'm back with a second video on YouTube!
This video was actually filmed last year, but somehow I never got round to publishing it. I'm so glad it's finally up as this is one of my absolute favourite Chinese dishes.
Hanh from Hanabelle is the lovely film maker and editor behind the camera, and I can't thank her enough. Make sure you guys head over to her beautiful blog and check out her own lifestyle videos too. They are all inspiring and so much fun to watch.
Cooking a different meal daily that doesn't take up loads of time or become repetitive isn't difficult and the aim of all my videos is to show you how to cook the meals in under 30 minutes that can feed up to 4 people. If there's only 1 or 2 of you living at home, this means more food leftover for work lunches and homemade fast food dinners.
Blackbean sauce is a classic Cantonese flavour, and if it's done right it will leave you wanting more. From chicken to beef to clams, blackbean works well with almost everything.
In the UK, blackbean sauce is easy to buy in the supermarkets and comes in a jar, but I want to take the opportunity to say this is not the authentic way to make blackbean dishes! A blackbean dish requires the real fermented black beans, which can be picked up in Chinese supermarkets and the recipe I am sharing today is an adaption of my dad’s blackbean dish which taste out of this world.
I would love to hear what you guys think about the video, so please leave me comments/likes on my channel! =)
Thanks guys for all your support as always! The full recipe is right below the video x
x2 chicken breast
3 tsp blackbean
3 cloves of garlic
Half an onion
1 green pepper
1 red chilli
3 tsp soya sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
3 tsp oyster sauce
½ tsp of dark soya
½ cup water
Salt to taste
A few dashes of white pepper
4 tbsp of oil
2 tsp cornflour mixed with 1 tsp water
1. Wash and cut the chicken breast into cubes. Blot away excess water
2. Lightly marinade with a sprinkle of salt, a few dashes of white pepper, 1 tsp soya sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil and 1 tsp of oyster sauce
3. Roughly chop the blackbean and 2 cloves of garlic and set aside
4. Chop 1 clove garlic, half an onion, 1 green pepper and 1 chilli and place onto a small plate
5. In a bowl, mix together 2 tsp soya sauce and 2 tsp oyster sauce
6. Add 1 tbsp of oil to the frying pan, and sear the chicken on both sides. Lay the meat onto the surface of the pan as much as possible. Dish up and put to the side. The chicken should still be raw in the middle
7. Add 3 tbsp of oil to the wok and add the blackbean and garlic. After a minute, it should become very fragrant
8. Add in the 1 clove garlic, 1 chilli, half an onion and 1 green pepper. Quick stir for a minute and then add the chicken in
9. Spoon in the soya and oyster sauce mix and add ½ cup of water. Add ½ tsp dark soya sauce to add colour. Simmer for 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
10. To thicken the sauce, add 2 tsp cornflour with 1 tsp water in a bowl and mix well. Add this mixture to the pan and stir until the sauce thickens
11. Dish up and serve with fluffy white rice. Rice noodles like ho fun and vermicelli are also good options
If you missed my first video, you can catch it here: Pork in Pepper and Spicy Salt