Are you all thinking apple and kimchi sound strange and weird? Yup, I experimented and it turned out awesome.
For this post, I've teamed up with Pink Lady Apples* to bring you a weird and wonderful recipe. How many of you have tried cooking with apples in your savoury dishes?
Pink Lady Apples in particular are crisp and sweet, working perfectly with the more savoury pungent flavours of kimchi. Combine this with bacon, and the flavours are just incredible!
I also cheated with making the apple kimchi too as I didn't fancy making it from scratch. Pick up some store bought kimchi, put it in the blender and blitz until smooth. Use this kimchi 'paste' to mix into the apples and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving it.
x2 Pink Lady apples
300g store bought kimchi
1 packet of streaky bacon
1 cup of cooked rice
Black sesame seeds to garnish (optional)
1. Put kimchi in a blender and blend until smooth. A few rough bits are fine
2. De core the apple, and slice into 'chip' sticks
3. Add the kimchi paste to the apples and marinade well. Put it in the fridge for 2 hours so the flavours because more pronounced, but if you really can't wait that long, it's fine to eat as it is too!
4. Cook rice according to the instructions or prepare some salad
5. Fry the bacon until crispy, and dish up all together with the rice and apple kimchi
6. Enjoy your weird and wonderful meal!
Will you be giving Pink Lady Apple Kimchi with Bacon and Rice a try?
*This post is in partnership with Pink Lady apples, recipe is my creation.